Friday, May 22, 2009

Three Current Blogs

Friday, May 22, 2009


Current mood:warm
Thank you, Bonnie, for writing the 1200th comment, for pressing my shirt, and for taking double duties the last few months while I prepared to school some actuary exams.

Here I am at Taeseo Elementary School in Taebaek, Korea. Yesterday, since it rained so much, they postponed Sports Day until Monday. So now I get to experience the joys that go with that. In yesterday's rain, I was inside a testing center in Seoul doing untold nasty things to the P actuary exam. I have to admit, it felt good to get that done with. A pass is a pass, and I was really hoping for at least just a pass, but I think that I scored the highest possible score or so. Official results will be in in eight weeks, but for now I am collecting unofficial congratulations papers from the testing site. I suppose the job hunt begins. Looking into the opportunities currently, I'm not sure I'll land a hot job yet, but we'll see. Apparently fresh young graduates are a lot more appealing than old ducks like me. But we'll see. There's some charm left in this gray quacker.

You're probably wondering about the next of six more tests I need to take before I become an Actuary Fellow. That, I think, will be in November. But I still need to look into details and maybe choose a direction and decide which test to take next. And all that might come after getting a job if I get one, so we'll see. I do want to start on something soon though, that I might cut down on the study crunch and spread it out in order to enjoy more of the precious family life.

The precious family life? Maybe some of you are wondering about Orry's or Gonzo's disposition. Little Gonzo is my fun new nickname for Isaac. Try it, and you'll like it too. Orry, the easy baby, has developed into a nearly three year old image of his father, which is to say he exhibits any of the following descriptions when it comes to having his way, whether his way is logical, sensical, or otherwise: hard willed, insistent, persistent, adamant, demanding, stubborn. He also will throw a fit or scream or exhibit other socially unacceptable behaviors. What?! you say? That little angel? But yes, it is so. We wonder, sometimes, because he seems to be too frustrated and angry too much of the time. But I think we'll work on perspective and feelings and what we can and cannot control, not to mention continuing to improve all relationships in and out of the household, that we can be better examples, cultivate good healthy growth, et cetera. Bonnie also pointed out the amount of attention sharing that Orry does on account of little Gonzo. So we are taking pains to make sure Orry has good swaths of Orry time.

Little Gonzo is at a great age. He is the explorer and he's figuring things out. He's quite the game player and boy can he eat. He is getting weaned which seems to not faze him at all that I can say. He is getting faster feet although he's still a wobbly toddler. He is more ticklish than Orry was and he is such a fun little laugher. He likes various people and is just about as easy as Orry was. Although he screams more than Orry did. Orry healped teach that, I think. They have screaming bouts sometimes. That high pitched yip that little kids are so good at that pierces the sky? Yes.

To make up for lost time with the Korean language, I am going full force now. I'm back at the folk tale translation and on to learn more of this language now.

But before I end up this blog, let's tally the subjects of upcoming blogs. You know I still need to blog about where dead Koreans go. And then there's the moths and butterflies. And did I tell you about sharing my first Korean cab ride, with a Korean stranger? And I suppose an update is due for the salamander eggsacs and the tadpoles. And I need to get some pictures and videos up too...

Thank you for your participation in my life.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Current mood:lepidoptery
Here I am at a new school, ready to fire off four different classes of third grade. Hwangji Elementary is a much bigger school.

It actually is nice to have something unmathy to command my attention for some portion of these 24 hours before I take the next actuary exam out for dinner and a good time, then never call her again.

Today after school it's a train to Seoul for the night.

I would teach at Hwangji again tomorrow except for my special leave for the exam. That will be the schedule for upcoming weeks. Hwangji on Wednesdays and Thursdays, except that I have teachers classes at Taeseo on Wednesdays after lunch....

Time for class!

I like butterflies, and I like moths too. More about that, later.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Current mood:birdy
There was a really fun time to be had for a short while in Seoul when we were walking away from our dinner rendezvous point near Hongik University. There a guy had set up a drum circle where passers-by could sit and drum or dance or watch. So Orry and Trent and I had some drum fun. Then Bonnie bought a couple skirts.

I was still also experiencing the elation of dancing. Not my dancing, but Orry's happy feet. After dinner and before Baskin Robbins we went to place in a park where some guys were rapping to some beats to a congregation. There Orry became quite the hit for his dancing moves.

So you can look forward to those videos and photos.

Surprise! Back in Taebaek we experienced our first price adjustments in Korea, as cab fare minimums rose 22% and our cheap kimbap joint raised their prices 17-33% as well. However, as I mentioned last time, the azaleas are so vibrant--it is a fair trade.

kimbap:



A daurian redstart like the one spying on Trent and me while we collected dirt yesterday for the rooftop garden:



No comments:

Post a Comment