Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Becoming Texan

Becoming Texan is easy. All you do is move to the state, and it's required by law to become Texan within 30 days. Becoming Texan means getting a Texas driver's license. Actually, who knows what the real law is? And what about people who don't need a driver's license? And maybe it's 90 days. The thing is, my information is from the dmv and not the lawbooks. Of course there is an ambiguity, as "Texan" could mean someone originally from Texas, like I am an Idahoan, or, on the other hand, someone who resides in Texas.

Aside from that law or faux-law, once you get here, there aren't that many laws. You can shoot people, or drive on the median if you want. And they voted recently to discount all the violations caught by traffic cameras in Harris County, because traffic cameras aren't cops, and we don't need laws to make good choices at intersections. But after living near the beltway for the duration of one year and ten days, I have seen with my eyes, while I am driving, more accidents happen here than I have in the rest of my life put together.

I would like to add some photos, but this blog isn't big enough for Texas-sized photos.

Yee haw.

4 comments:

  1. Boy howdy, those must be some big pictures, if they wont even fit into your blog! We should be Washintonians by now but instead we are law breakers. My questions is, how many states have you been a resident in? How many drivers licenses HAVE you had?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been a tax paying resident in 4 states, and I have had a good many licenses because I used to lose my wallet all the time. But I have had a drivers license only in Idaho, Louisiana, and now Texas. I am not counting an international driver's license I used to drive on the wrong side of the road in Japan.

    Even though I lived for four years in Washington, I neglected to become a resident there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh,I see I see. I bet the registration fees kept you from becoming a Washintonion officially, as it has only encouraged us to drag our feet with the process!
    I think you should count the International drivers license, not many people have had one of those, and not many have driven on the other side of the road safely and legally!

    ReplyDelete