Saturday, May 12, 2012

lightning and activities

I am learning to start my blogs with a delightful image:



We rode some lightning the other day, on the way home from the Williams Tower and Lego store.  It was very stormy, the kind that issues deadly lightning (they said on the radio, after the  urnhhhhhh test signal that wasn't jsut a test) and quarter sized hail (again reported on the radio).  We saw some lightning close by, while it was pouring rain, but then we saw some strike in the road right in front of us, as if we would have driven into it if it would have lasted any longer at all.  And the large boom that we heard simultaneously sounded like a large blowout and I felt it in my feet.

The video I found is about the closest approximation I could find on line.  The flash of the electricity appeared quite thick to my eyes.  It goes without saying but I'll say that I'm thankful we didn't crash or get hurt.

 

In other news today, we saw some of Houston's art cars.  In the following video from 2010, you'll see a few examples of cars we also saw today.  We got there towards the end of the lineup, but we saw a few notables.  One you'll see in this video that we saw is the dragon at the end.



Ones I didn't catch in the above video that we saw:  a car with two front ends and no back end.  a guy with a one wheel mobile that he rode around like a merry-go-round.  Orry says that our favorites are the wacky ones.

Speaking of Orry, he was a little under the weather today.  He still went around with us and had some fun, but he also ran a fever and had less energy than usual.  The rest of us had enough energy to get home, and then the two little ones sacked out until just after bedtime, ensuring that we will have a fun filled night as well.

Other things we did today:  celebrated two terrific birthdays at a birthday party.  fed the ducks.  flew some kites.  went to the museum.  made some homemade ice cream.  went grocery shopping.  sang along with We Are Young:



And I think at the end of the day, we're pleased.  And here's to making the most of our days!  Afterall, you never know if lightning or anything else will terminate the beating of your heart.

3 comments:

  1. we had those scary lightning storms when i lived up in the mountains at camp. i absolutely LOVE watching a lightning show of a lightning storm IN THE DISTANCE... but when it's close enough to hear the thunder as the lightning touches the earth (right in front of your eyes) it's petrifying. it scares the living daylights out of me! that rumble that you feel all the way to your innermost being... ugh, it gives me the shivers just thinking about it!!!
    thanks for the post. i hope you had a lovely mother's day!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. this lightening thing freaks me out. i probably would have pooed my pants right then and there. glad you all lived.

    ReplyDelete