Sunday, March 7, 2010

On Sunday...

How excited I was to bring together for you the current sunshiny Spring weather, ee cummings, a contrabassist and a soprano, and a little romance, all courtesy of one of my favorite radio programs From The Top. However, they don't seem to have the program online yet so I'll have to settle for cutting and pasting the poem and sharing it with you later.

Oh! But here I found a treasure trove of the song set to music! It doesn't have the particularly likable piece I referenced above, but it should satisfy for you the juxtaposition of sunshiny Just-Spring weather, ee cummings, and music at least. Oh, but it doesn't link you to the music--just teases you by telling you about it. Like I am doing, I guess.

The poem:

in Just-
spring when the world is mud-
luscious the little
lame balloonman

whistles far and wee --

and eddieandbill come
running from marbles and
piracies and it's
spring

when the world is puddle-wonderful
the queer
old balloonman whistles
far and wee
and bettyandisbel come dancing

from hop-scotch and jump-rope and

it's
spring
and
the

goat-footed

balloonMan whistles
far
and
wee




And now, paying a sort of vulgar tribute to cummings, here are some made-up words we use in our house, and you might have too, if you've had babies in your house or not.

snart: to simultaneously sneeze and fart
furp: to simultaneously burp and fart
cfart: to simultaneously, yes, you guessed it, cough and fart. if you say this one just right (that is, explosively enough) it is onomatopoeia.

And now, since you read this far, let me continue on and say on this beautiful day we are going to picnic after church, and hit up the Lousiana Art and Science Museum. The kiddos are still a little sniffly, so we'll probably bring them into church with us instead of letting them infect the other kids at the nursery.

This week some rain is due so I'm looking forward to finishing some inside projects.

Have a wonderful second week of March.

2 comments:

  1. p.s. you can google the poem. this rendition didn't correctly render the spaces in the poem, which is part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first of spring doesn't come until later this month but we've been getting some sunshiny days that makes one wish for it to hurry. I kinda hate to wish away winter since it is a lovely season. The warm wood stove beckons me to read and enjoy some leisure time that I wouldn't allow myself if there was outside work to be done. Since I have to post this as anonymous, I'll sign it, your mother

    ReplyDelete