Thursday, August 4, 2011

33.5 years old

Today is my half year birthday, and I know you're probably wondering why you didn't hear about my 33 1/3 year celebration, but I think at that time I was probably counting candles on boys' birthday cakes, cutting out dinosaur hats, or something of the like.  And I can tell you what I'd like to be doing on my 34 1/3 year celebration.  That's the time (next year, actually on June 5 or 6, 2012, depending on your side of the international date line) when Venus will cross in front of the sun for the so called "transit of Venus" event.  It happens twice, about eight years apart, every 105 or 121 years in a delightful planetary dance that repeats with a periodicity of 243 years.  The last transit happened in 2004, so here's your last chance, living humans, unless you live so long as to see it happen again in 2117.  I hope to be somewhere with my family, watching the sun without looking at it directly, ideally in Japan or Alaska or Hawaii or some other neat place, although just about anywhere will do, so long as we don't go to places like Brazil or the Azores or western Africa.



(The above times are for the 2004 transit which occurred on June 8th.)

Tomorrow is my last day on the job at my current school, where I have been working in the capacity of Academic Director after beginning teaching at this language school last summer.  I am taking a position teaching Geometry in high school for the following school year, and I'm excited about that change.  I liked the leadership role of working with teachers and helping to run a school from that angle, so this is step one in getting a principal certification down the road.

Orry got registered for kindergarten today as well, so we're both excited to start school in a couple of weeks.

Hey, thanks for stopping by and checking out my blog.

1 comment: