Saturday, August 6, 2011

math methods, fireants, birds

I have a new abacus toy, or actually, a soroban, with instructions in English, that I might just devote some time to.  You know, these manual calculators have good quick methods for doing large and decimal multiplication and division and can also be used for roots; not just for tallying or for adding numbers without using your fingers.



Although the instruction booklet is in English, it was printed in Japan, and has a few funny things and misspellings like thumb without a b, and more embarrasing, count without an o.

It seems like every time I come to Louisiana I get violated by fireants.  But this time they got me in the morning before heading to Louisiana, while still in Texas.  I got no fewer than 13 or 14 bites, and I am reminded that last time when I pinned my allergic reaction on poison ivy, it was likely a similar fireant violation instead.   The last time I itched like that was when I went camping, and I'm pretty sure I didn't get any fireant bites then, so I don't know what I can put that down to.  But I had a terrific allergic reaction once to fireants and I guess I still have reactions.  My body seems to not react and not react until it reacts to something, and then it will either react easily to the same thing, or get used to it and seem to react less and less until it doesn't react any more.  About these ants, they are all "new" ants, as opposed to getting bitten by the same local type of ants again and again, and maybe there's something in that, too. 

We harvested our first cucumber, yum.

Bonnie and I had a good time watching videos last night about birds that can talk.  Not just parrots and parakeets, but magpies, starlings, crows, and the like.  Fascinating.

3 comments:

  1. Boy, that bird is starved for some affection. Somebody give him a kiss already!

    I love going through my grandma's treasures. I'm glad there was something in there that you could use. And it came with an instruction manual, awesome! You can be a soroban wizard and I'll be a napkin foldin' fool!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Count without an "o" is a terrible misspelling.
    I read "fireants" as "friends" the first time and though it strange that friends were violating you when you go to LA.
    The talking bird sure confused Ila. She thinks birds should say "tweet tweet" not "how ya doing buddy" and the likes.
    I liked that by the title of the blog I was expecting to scan some serious math talk, but didn't. Great blog Troy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie stole the words right out of my comment. I was going to say, "Would SOMEONE please give that bird a kiss?"

    ReplyDelete