Friday, March 9, 2012

A & Q Friday



Cosmonaut Gagarin, the first human in space, was born this day 78 years ago. He died when he was my age, in a training accident. The write-up I read stated that he was famous for his having been in space, so that the soviet space program didn't want to risk his life and tried to keep him away from flying, but he persisted, and died at the end of one flight one day.




It is also the birthday of two rappers from little big cities in America. One was Chingy, who we all have to thank for the "Helerr" pronunciation of "hello" in a roundabout way because he got his music fans saying "thurr" for "there". And Bow Wow, who used to be known as Li'l Bow Wow. They are 32 and 25.






There are snow scenes of mountains and wilderness that would probably top my list for being able to paint and painting such scenes to share with others. Although, there have been plenty idyllic scenes of beaches and of course when it comes to Hawaii it seems like every scene could be a painting. I love clouds so I'd like to be able to paint all those, and I've seen some real winners of photos of landscapes in the nights sky. If one could catch, say, the glory of the shadow of Mt Fuji while one climbs into a full moon, that would be a winner. I am limiting myself, for the moment in the scope of landscapes and scenery. I also love trees and would like to feature my fall favorite the maple, in something like the golden old days of the Gonzaga campus in autumn.

But let us suppose in a painting that we could catch the overall experience somehow of all the senses. There are some great experiences, like snorkeling, swimming in all sizes of bodies of water, camping in the desert, running down mountains. But I think the topper goes to skiing or snowboarding, and in particular, in my life, I can reminisce about one amazing day at Silver Mountain in Kellogg, Idaho, where it was like snowboarding on pillows. It is a beautiful scenic area. On the day of my reckoning, ha ha, the snow had frosted everything and boarding in that snow was otherwordly. It would be a real challenge to paint.

Many of you might have read my Asher Lev post earlier, and now I am reading the second Asher Lev book. Asher Lev in those books is an artist. I wonder how he might paint snowboarding on pillows if he could experience it.










These were some snowboarding shots I found that start to impart on you what I mean.

If you could paint a picture of any scenery you've seen before, what would you paint?

No comments:

Post a Comment