Thursday, March 1, 2012

A and Q Thursday

I remember when my favorite food as a child was barbecue spare ribs and rice.  I also remember eating rice and A-1 sauce.  The first preference was from when I was 6 or less and the later preference of A-1 sauce was when I was more than 7.  It wasn't that A-1 sauce and rice was my favorite, but I did like the taste.  My whole life I haven't much been one for favorites--or rather I have tended to always have lots of favorites.  Some other favorites I remember from my childhood were my Granny's pickles, her green beans, and the fourth of July favorite of creamy baby potatoes and green peas.  Favorite desserts come to mind to like her buttermilk cake with carmel frosting.  I liked steak (and A-1), and also spaghetti.  I also like homemade breads.  My other grandmother Thora Becker was a baker of pies and cinnamon bowknots that had no equal.  I also liked her dinner rolls (with jam) and tarts.  She also had some dishes that I think about now and again, like a shredded carrot salad, a celery something salad, and her hashbrowns are hard to replicate as well. I wonder where certain family recipes came from.  Like goulash, for we have not even hints of Hungarian anything else in our blood or customs.

There are lots of favorites from my mother's kitchen.  Various soups, casseroles, desserts, and lots of little memories like eating dough, rolling dough in flour, cutting cookies, softening butter.

My father's traditional dish is the T Daniel Becker Surprise.  In it you might find anything.  It will taste fine, and fuel your body for just as long or longer than any other meal.  It is also generally different from the last Special you sampled.  It is a traditional dish that instantly brings to mind this chapter of one of my favorite books:

An Intimate History of Humanity by Theodore Zeldin
6. Why there has been more progress in cooking than in sex.

Another book that immediately joined my favorite books list is Marquez's Love in the Time of Cholera.  This book perfectly relates the drama of human existence, exploring both the sublime and the sexual, the reflective and the experiential aspects of living life, and introduces us to characters the sum of which relate to any and all of us.

What was your favorite food when you were a child?

1 comment:

  1. i liked a lot of the same favorites of yours... most likely because we grew up with the same cooks and bakers pleasing our tastebuds. my favorite was the meatloaf dinner with baked potatos and granny green beans though.
    i was thinking how cooking gets passed on from generation through generation. i think i'm going to incorporate my sons in the kitchen more than has been done in our family so that some of our family cooking can be passed through them too. poor husband of mine doesn't get very many of his family favorites on our menu, because i don't know about them (and he doesn't cook them either). well... other than a good steak dinner... which he does really well.
    i'm so thankful to have all those recipes of gramma's and hope to post the rest of those onto her blog and then pass that heirloom (or whatever it'd be called) on to others... since it IS telcia's.

    ReplyDelete