Saturday, March 12, 2011

going bald

Those who know me best will attest that for the past two years, the hair atop my head is not what it used to be. I was under the impression that I drew the head-of-hair-for-life card, but alas, dear reader, my thinned top and plainly receding hairline indicate otherwise.

Tonight was the night where a man in my circumstances explores options. Too bad I didn't save my recent google/wiki searches, because that would pretty much tell the story. An abridged version:

male pattern baldness awareness day
alopecia
free testosterone
free testosterone sex
free testosterone sexual activity
free testosterone sexual activity balding
sexual activity balding
rogaine
anagen
minoxidil
minoxidil price
cheap rograine
cheap minoxidil
male balding hairstyles
kimbo slice

I started out looking for male pattern baldness awareness day because I thought that would be a good day to start rocking what I by and by came to know is called a power donut. (See Larry David, above)

But then I realized that I should also think about the alternatives. For example I didn't know if Rogaine would be something you apply for a while which reverses the balding for life (Of course it isn't). I also wondered about price. Getting cheap generic minoxidil runs about $60 per year, and doesn't seem expensive even if I were to use it for the next 30 years.

But I'm not really one for chemicals. Especially when there is also a timely maintenance routine twice daily, let's be honest.

So by and by I learned such terms as "skullet" and "free testosterone" and I learned who Kimbo Slice is.

You see, it's one thing to embrace the short hair cut, but what about the beard? And I'm not interested in a goatee really. But I got some great tips at artofmanliness.com, and that might be worth a read if you're looking for a laugh or, let's be honest, some information.

On another note, it's nice to get to Louisiana again, the birthplace of my offpsring. We are all together again and everybody's finally getting over colds and so on. Annie and Isaac started competing for objects and attention. On Monday we'll head back to Houston via New Orleans and then we'll enjoy a few days off for Spring Break.

Here we go, springing forward in Spring again.

2 comments:

  1. this whole blog was quite amusing to me, especially the part where you found our who Kimbo Slice is.
    I'm not laughing AT you and your baldness, but WITH you, through your little brothers baldness, which started way before yours. For that you can be thankful for a few extra years that you had, with a full head of hair.
    I'm pretty convinced that the Becker Boys know how to make bald handsome.
    -nic

    ReplyDelete
  2. kimbo slice has been a favorite of mine for the past half-decade at least!!!! and today i think i read that high testosterone is one cause for early balding... so at least you have that going for you. ??? i suspect it's more genetic though (i mean, look at all your older male relatives on both sides!)

    ReplyDelete