Sunday, February 13, 2011

the day before

The day before Valentine's-Day-the-wife's-birthday, also known as Ryan Unger's birthday is usually the last day of hope in this household. The day where Bonnie might still think that maybe there's some slim chance she's going to get surprised with something special or have a decent birthday.

But this year we changed it up. I knew that it might not fare well for me if I totally slacked off yet again, so this year I secreted away a couple rolls of streamers and pink balloons and waited for Bonnie to go buy herself some birthday/valentine's gifts. Then I rallied up the troops and decked out the living room.




Then, as Orry puts it, we hid and when Daddy said "okay" we jumped out and said "Surprise!" and threw balloons in the air.

We gave Bonnie the cards we made. The idea was to give a surprise early birthday/valentine's party, but I could see the look in her eye, which means, "Man, now, not only do I have to make my own birthday meals, buy my own gifts, and plan my own day, but I need to clean all this up as well."

Today some of the streamers started coming down, but I got the duct tape out so I think we'll be okay through tomorrow.

For now, it's off to church with us!

Oh, and for your extra reading pleasure, check out our letter writing blog, notjustthebills.

1 comment: