Thursday, February 17, 2011

a new pastime

We got a Nintendo Wii. I was just watching "Bonnie" get hit in the head with soccer cleats, ha ha. Earlier "we" were speeding down mountain slopes, and pedaling our bikes. Orry and I "went for a run" earlier. Am I worried a little that this is replacing good old fashioned real activity? Yes. Now she just fell from an urban tightrope. But there is no question our activity level is increasing, so I'll just take that for now, and later we'll be able to arrange our lives better for real recreation.

It was a busy week for me. We administered a midterm on Tuesday which took a lot of time in preparation and follow-up. Last Saturday I spent much of the day in teacher training courses, so it has seemed like a long stretch. Hopefully next week I can relax more to make up for it. I keep getting more and more duties at the school where I work. Which is great--I hope the pay adjusts to make up for it sooner rather than later!

As for idle time nowadays, I do read up quite a bit about Inflammatory Bowel Disease and people's experiences. Today I was thinking about trying to assemble a mass study/survey in order to try and sift patterns out of thousands of Crohn's and colitis patients. Nowadays with information technology, it seems feasible that a layman could do something like this with the help of the Internet and forms. Yet it seems like a broad comprehensive study done carefully could help make great progress in untangling the mysteries of IBD. (All of you faithful readers already know about our IBDinourhome blog.).

Bonnie's got the place looking pretty good. We still have some boxes to unpack, and some stuff out in the way, but it's feeling really homey. Our family room, where most of our time is spent, connects to our dining area and has a window into the kitchen. It is a nice space, with 12 foot ceilings and now new venetian blinds on big windows along one whole wall. But the best part of it is when it's filled with five giggling Beckers, enjoying our life together.

If you want to see a bunch of aerial photography, just visit here and scroll down, looking for photos you like the best, or juxtapositions you appreciate.

4 comments:

  1. bonnie says: i got the same feeling that wii time, as active as it may be, would replace real outdoor active time. so i took the kids on a scavenger hunt. we even went to the museum. so you could say that having the wii has motivated me to get out more and do more with our kids. but i should also say that my triceps are looking pretty sweet nowadays...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're studying IBD. It would be interesting to do a study. You'll learn even more while you're in the process. I'm glad you live in TX now that I see what options there are for your family there (like the SIA camp and specialty hospitals). I still wish you lived closer to us (for selfish reasons) but I can see why the Lord led you to Houston. M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ehehmmmmm. it's wednesday, and I'm looking or a new blog.... :D

    ReplyDelete